Deer are easy to kill.

I've only hunted mountainous western states, and most often I'm on a mountain when shooting something. Mostly bolt guns in cals from 22 to 30. I got into casting about 7 years ago, and since, I've been trying to work my cast bullets into my hunting, particularly for deer, since I'm not trying to shoot trophies anymore. I've only got one deer tag this year, so it will get filled with a cast bullet in a handgun. Not sure which yet. I'll hunt with someone carrying a rifle who can take a longer shot, so I don't feel like I'm giving up opportunities at good animals. That has often been the argument I've had with myself in the past, that I'm handicapping myself by choosing marginal calibers or short-range affairs, and that I'm going to see the biggest animals of my life, all just out of range. I've proven it to myself that practically any firearm I'm carrying will be plenty if hunt intelligently and shoot straight. Deer are easy to kill. It is more fulfilling for me to do it certain ways over others as the seasons collect under my belt.

It'll get more interesting when my youngest two are finally old enough to hunt. I spend more time speculating and planning what they will carry then than what I'll carry next.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.