Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
A quick way to tell for all Blackhawks other than Vaqueros is to look for the letter code NV (for New Vaquero IIRC) in the catalog designation - not the model number.

E.g,:
Ruger Bisley Flattop RURNVB-445-SPCL
Stainless Bisley Flattop RUKRNVB-444-SPL
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible RUBN455X - no NV - this is built on the "44 Magnum" frame
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .45 Convertible RUNVB-44X
Ruger Blackhawk .357 convertible RUBN34X - built on the large frame
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .357 convertible RUNVB-

It gets tricky for original large frame Vaqueros and mid-size frame New Vaqueros:
Vaquero "Small Frame" .357 RUNV34
But the Talo Vaquero .44 Magnum which is definitely not on the mid-size frame is RUKBNV-455-I - also has NV in the catalog designation.

Ruger is no help, they don't say which is which on their website and they don't use the term New Vaquero, just Vaquero. At least not that I can find or that is readily apparent. If someone knows where they make those distinctions I'd love to be enlightened. Lipsey's has the term "Small frame" in their descriptions of some Vaqueros whereas it is missing in others, like the Talo .44 Mag, but I have no idea how consistent they are with that.

I'm really surprised that any firearms company wouldn't make clear designations about those frame sizes, especially with lawyers circling like buzzards over road kill waiting for any chance to sue. Ruger will tell you not to use anything but factory level ammo but still, they really threw some monkey wrenches in the idea of "Ruger only" loads when they introduced the mix and match mid-size frames.

And they look smaller smile
[/quote]
Yeah, it's pretty easy to see when you have them side by side. wink I was thinking more of someone looking on gunbroker or somewhere you wouldn't be able to compare or see it first hand.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!