good points Chris and Paul, every situation is different, most of the time I'll hike a ways to not have to go in over my knees if it's an option. The other variable is how much weight is in the pack? If just day hunting with my backpack it's light enough I'm not too worried about it.

If I'm hauling a moose quarter out, and have to cross a deep fast moving stream (hope not, see above to try and find a better route) I'm probably not going to unbuckle my waist strap, just depends upon current and depth. Same with sheep, that's where I've most often run into these situations.

also a big proponent of a hiking pole. a tripod is way more stable than a bipod, hiking poles have saved my bacon numerous times. First time I hiked the Kalaua trail in Kauai, it was not too many months after hunting season here, I was in fairly decent shape, but I passed people left and right using my hiking pole, slippery spots I could still make good time, boulder hoppin is where it really proved it's merit though. Majority of folks I passed had no pole. I hiked in to Hanokoa falls went for a quick dip, had a bite to eat and hiked back out. Quite a few of the people I'd passed had gone off the trail a lil to grab natures hikin pole.

I've sheep hunted with pards that didn't feel we needed two rifles, so they left theirs behind, F that, I'm takin mine. I'd almost rather not have my rifle than go without the pole, but that's just me and I've always been pretty decrepit.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.