I have purchased four South Carolina Featherweights when they were the SHOT Show Specials. I had to mess with the trigger on all four and install Ernie the Gunsmith springs to get the triggers down to 3 pounds. I never had that issue with my New Haven guns. Different trigger, so we won't go into that; I just mention it because of the press releases on the adjustability of the newer triggers. Only one of the SC guns didn't need a lot of attention to get to shoot. I should have let the other three go down the road, but I like messing with guns.

I own one of the Portugal guns that was made very early when production was switched over. It has the same trigger issue, and although it is a standard Featherweight, the fit and finish is at least as good as my Shot Show Specials. My only complaint is that the stock looks like it was left over night in the stain vat. It absolutely has the darkest piece of walnut I have ever seen on a rifle, including WWII surplus that have been heavily oiled.

I consider them to be a very good value, particularly if you can grab them on sale. You just have to remember that they are Model 70's in name only.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla