Originally Posted by Scruffee
Both whitetail and mule deer herds are doing well.

The mule deer population (residents only) is doing actually very well in my area, they're taking up land where there used to be whitetails only which I thought would be a problem this year, I would see a lot of mule deer where I normally hunt whities and would see barely any whitetails in the early season. It all changed once the weather turned colder and snow hit the ground, whitetails were everywhere again. The mules seem to have pushed the whitetails a little bit but that all changed as we were approaching the rut.

As for whitetails, the past three years has seen a constant incline in whitetail population. I hunted hard and I've seen a few 150" plus whitetails and quite a few in the 120-130" range. Two 160" plus deer were taken in my area, one of them being mine. As most have already said, depending on this winter, the deer population should do well for 2018. Still a lot of food on the ground and barely any snow (central to southern Sk) but we are still really early. We had some really warm weather right after WT season ended, which I am hopeful gave the big bucks a chance to rest and recoup before winter hits us.

167" 3/8
[Linked Image]

Dream deer right there!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.