Originally Posted by sambarman338
Do you ever wonder what the debris that accumulates in scopes is?

Usually, I contend, it is metal ground off the erector tube by friction from the turret screws. The erector tube is usually made of some brass alloy. While the weight of it doesn't help resist damage from recoil, being a greasy metal, brass is less likely to 'gall' than steel or dural.

This wear is one reason I think adjusting your turrets for long shots is a seductive error. Not only do you take the erector lenses and spring(s) into dodgy optical and mechanical territory but you may forget to wind them back and, in the long run, wear the mechanism faster than if stadia are employed instead.

I imagine aficionados know of NF's claims to heroic strength and repeatability. I suppose you've seen the testimonial from the dude who fired 4000 rounds through a 20mm Vulcan tactical rifle without problems. But did you notice which model he used? It had a very long objective bell, probably a Precision Benchrest model with the third 'turret' resembling the Burris Posi-Lock. While I have heard reports of wrecked Posi-Lock scopes, I think a third screw is the only real answer for image-movement scopes on heavy kickers.

It is not, however, ideal for constant knob twiddling because, once the lock is applied, the zero is likely to change again.

Nothing you wrote is correct. Your thoughts and ideas of scopes and functioning are completely out of touch with reality.

The debris is generally the coating/paint used to reduce internal glare. Scopes can be built to take constant and repeated dialing and function absolutely correct regardless of how many rounds are fired. The Nightforce used in the add is a standard NXS.