Our camp is in Cameron Co. which is next over from Elk. Only about 10 miles for us to be in Elk Co. and some of our hunting is done there. The 761 S&H pretty much died when the 7 Rem Mag showed up. The 7x300 Wby is very easy in that it's just a 300 Wby case reduced I step to 7mm. It's pretty much a clone performance wise to a 7 STW and arguably a
7 RUM. Sit behind them and watch as they fly across one of those valleys and you can plainly see the advantage they have over the 7 Rem Mag. But a 30 cal can be driven just as fast with heavier bullets and thats plain to see also at some point. Probably 90 percent of the deer are taken well under 1000 yds in PA. So In view of that how much gun is actually needed. Of coarse you might be looking at 500/600 or you could be looking well beyond 1000 from the same place.
I don't believe there is any all round perfect cartridge, for all distances. I guess you couldn't go far wrong with one of the larger 7mms and have a large 338 just in case one shows up way out there. Problem is we can only shoot as far as the conditions permit, and in PA thats rarely far enough to need a big 338. If I were permitted just one gun, based on what ive seen and know today for use in that area, it would be a 300 Norma.