Originally Posted by efw
Elijah & I are leaving when I get off work the evening of Friday, September 28 and driving through the night toward Livingston.

Don’t have to be home until Sunday Oct 7.

I’d hoped that many would be out hunting and we’d have the river to ourselves. Normally we’d be the ones with guns rather than rods in our hands but Elijah really loves trout fishing and being his first trip west like this I couldn’t argue it’ll be less intense w/o a tag that has “got” to be punched!

Thanks for all the tips here guys I’m very grateful!

Anybody ever camped at Emerald Lake Campground in the West Rosebud drainage? I’m thinking that the lakes downstream from there look mighty awesome... Rosebud, Mystic, Island, and Silver.

Catch is (I’m gonna catch hell for this I know...) I’m driving my Prius out and not sure how road conditions are? I’ll be checking in at ranger station anywhere I go first by phone and likely in person to make sure things are a go and locals know our whereabouts but looking all over at Intel right now.

Had thought about swinging south into Wyoming but now that I see Montana fishing license price structures I think we’ll stay there the entire time.

Thanks again all!!!

If you're going there, check out The West Rosebud creek...it goes through some NF land and used to be exceptional fishing, though in all fairness I haven't hit it in a loooong time. If you don't mind a little walking and casting the Yellowstone proper ought to be good east of Livingston...around Reed point and greycliff.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe