Everytime I have posted this statement it has ended up with a lot of backlash from 204 lovers but here we go again.

I bought into the 204 myth early on, you know the one - it recoils so little that you can see your hits, it shoots so flat that there is virtually no hold-over, etc. I already had my Cooper Varminter 223 and I shoot 40 gr bullets in it, so I bought a Cooper Varminter in 204 to take advantage of this magnificent new cartridge. To my horror the 204 had the same recoil as my 223 - how can that be? All of the gunwriters raved on and on about the magnificence of the 204.

Well some things do not change - one of them being the law of physics. The 204 and 223 use virtually the same amount of powder, so using 40 gr bullets with the same weight bullets out of identically weight rifles, with the same stock configuration - the felt recoil will be the same.

The only way to have less recoil (which helps to see hits) is to use less powder, use a heavier rifle, or go to a lighter bullet. If I recall correctly the 204 with a 32 gr bullet has about one-half fl lb less recoil than the 204 with 40 gr bullets, or the 223 with 40 gr bullets. It is easy to calculate recoil by going to JBM ballistics, inputting the required data and it will give all of the recoil results.

In the end I decided to stay with my 223’s since I shoot identical bullet weights and identical velocity loads in all of them. By doing this it keeps my life simple by only having the same drop and drift ballistics for all three rifles. Within 300 yards, which is where most varmint shooting takes place, the 204 does not offer any real ballistic advantage over the 223.

I use 40 gr bullets in my 223’s at 3700 -3750 fps and unless I am in an awkward, contorted position I see my shots at 100 yds and most of shots in as close as 50 yds.

The only 20 caliber I would consider is the 20 Vartarg and to be honest I do not want to go that much trouble making brass. The 20 Vartarg uses about 8 grs less powder than the 204 and the recoil difference between the 204 and the 20 Vartarg is noticeable.

p.s. - I have sold off all of my22-250's except one, I too like to see my hits/misses which is more difficult with the 22/250.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.