I have a question for y'all about these driven boar hunts I see Horia and others advertising. Actually it's a bunch of questions.

Let me first set this up for you. I've just turned 60. I've been hunting since my early 20's. I've been boar hunting. However, it was a long time ago. For the past 18 years, I have been limiting myself to hunting on my farm in KY. I get deer, turkey, squirrel and the occasional coyote. While it has kept me sharp in a lot of areas, I admit that I am rusty on hunting stuff on the run. I hunt from blinds and stands, and the deer are highly cooperative. My big buck last year was chasing a doe that came by and stuck her head in my blind. I shot him about 20 yards out while she stood about 60 yards away watching. If I could just get them to crawl into the truck. . .

So let's say I retire in a few years, call up someone and tell him to book me a boar hunt. It looks fun. I've got plenty of boar-sized rifles, and plenty of ammo. My one problem is that I have not shot a running deer in 35 years. I haven't even tried. What should I do to prepare?

With a stationary target, it's pretty easy to set a specification, something like "Be able to shoot a pie-plate at 50 yards offhand." However, with a running target, it gets quite a bit more complicated.

I see some Youtubes of some phenomenal shooting at driven boar. Some of these guys are real artists. How do they build up to that? How do they stay in practice?

Years ago, some guys I know set up a couple bicycle wheels and some clothesline and had a deer target that would fly across the range. Few people could hit that target, I was probably better than a lot of folks. I could actually put it on the deer, but it was damn hard. Is that the sort of rig I should be building?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer