Yesterday I shot some 250 REAL bullets in several roundball barrels. Because Pennsylvania formerly mandated cloth patched roundballs for their flintlock deer season, most of my flintlock rifles have slow-twist deep groove barrels. Now that PA allows other bullets, I really wanted to find a conical that shot well. Although I've killed deer with the roundball, I was never thrilled with how they worked. The Hornady PA conical shoots well with heavy powder charges, but availability has been spotty. I fear that Hornady might discontinue them in the future. All of which brings me to try the Lee 250 gr REAL. I lubed them with 50/50 bore butter/beeswax.tsI've heard recommendations to use a felt wad under these bullets, so I made a bunch of them. When I got to the range, I realized I'd forgotten the wads. So, I decided to shoot without them. I set the powder measure to 75 gr (so I thought) and shot using 3f Goex powder. It turns out I was at 80 gr of 3f.

From a Getz barrel. the first 3 shots made a 1" group at 60 yards. Next up was a 1-60 Lyman GPR. Group was around 5". Not so hot. Finally a Green Mountain 1-70 barrel.made a 3/4" group for 3 shots. I think I may try 70 gr with the GPR, and/or use the wads.

So I did blunder into a couple good groups.