So, the catfish thread got me to thinking. The other night, I was watching my rod tip and it dipped about an inch and then went back to normal. I turned the reel a couple of turns and felt no resistance. There are a lot of bluegill and other fish that will bump the line and some will even drag the bait a foot or two, so I waited. After about 30 seconds, line started playing out and I set the hook and the fight was on.

I landed a approximately 30 inch channel cat and the hook was completely out of sight through the gullet orifice. While I was inspecting the fish to determine if there was anything I could do, it did a classic crocodile roll and twisted out of my hand and fell about 4 feet from where I was sitting and into the water. The drop broke the line and the fish was gone.

My question, what is the consensus regarding the survivability of a fish that has swallowed the hook completely where it's no longer visible in the mouth? I've heard that they dissolve. There was no blood and the fish hadn't been gilled.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain