Where abouts? I've hunted mostly southwest Manitoba for about 20 years with several trips to the Oak Hammock area as well as a few trips to Saskatchewan ranging from Quill Lake south to Moose Jaw.

We first went to Saskatchewan to shoot specks as they aren't very common further east. Picking up "bonus" snows, blues, and Canada geese was nice but when I learned to decoy cranes that became my passion. I'll hunt them over anything else given a choice.

Duck numbers always amazed me as well as the great number of species. I especially like that pintails are common but, unfortunately, their tail feathers aren't nearly as well developed as further south as the molt typically is not long past.

For most of my trips to Saskatchewan upland birds were not available to non-residents but they were in Manitoba. Huns and sharptails numbers were pretty good most years though it was hard to approach them in a cut wheat field.

I haven't been to Canada in about 10 years, the crash of 2008 took a significant hit in our income and my buddies took even greater hits. Coupled with a rising Canadian dollar it made the trips out of reach for my buddies. We were going to do a hunt this year but an injury to the trip planner squashed that idea for this fall. Maybe next year.