I would hate to admit how many garands might be around, but say from prewar WWII, to the early 50's.
Garands were one of my original addictions.
And the stuff that goes with them.
Among other things running across a sizable quanity of french m2 ball ammo.
wasn't any good corrosive primers brittle brass. It had been stored in a unheated/cooled garage in phx since the 50's.
we saved all the powder, not knowing what it was.
then reloaded it in new brass/primers started at about 40 grains and worked up. we were looking for 2750fps velocity which is what we gotl
then fired five shot groups with the stuff. neat part was there was about 20fps variation in velocity round to round.
I have a bunch of that national match too, my understanding right or wrong while the military had dropped use of corrosive powders, they were still used in some of this national match.
One of the odd garands i have is a built national match. The guy who put it together in the 50's for camp perry. at one time he was in the top 10nationally. an armorer built it near ft. bragg, i have the invoice for the work.
Prior owner hadn't had the metal out of the wood since the 50's. I tried to take off the gas piston, and found the screw had been cross threaded, intentional or not i don't know.
another thing is he had had a post brased in under the ramp where your clip went in to forcible make it a single shot. why, i don't know.
i removed that, put an original part back in, and it shoots fine.
my wife's springfield was built in 1941, and rebarrel in 1943. You can only guess where its been.
Dean is now passed away, but his wife is still running his shop, DGR. I sent him a gerbiled greek return which he converted to 7.62x51 with a douglas barrel, and french bastogne for the wood. Gorgeous gun when he sent it back to me.
You can still find a lot of WWII ammo still around. like a 720round spam can repacked in the early 50's in hawaii. leftover from the pacific.
My wife seeing the boxes they came in, thinks they are breeding where they are stored.

one of the things that came into country was when the danish garands under lendlease were reimported. A lot of high end danish ammo also for sale, it is darn near if not match ammo. Came in crates with ammo/clips in bandoliers.
I have never used the cci primer, sticking with winchester. but i make sure they are deep seated to avoid the firing pin slamming them.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/20/18.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO