Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Thanks for the info. I think a 4 to 500 watt inverter will be more than enough and will put very low draw on the batteries. Most of the time, the pickup will be running to recharge them. It's a diesel with 2 batteries and a 136amp alternator.

You will get very little charging from the truck... just a few amps. If you look at the charge wire gauge in the plug....it’s likely only about 14 ga.......can only carry a small amp load.

If you want to charge faster, you’ll have to run a seperate ( much larger ) wire (fused) directly from the truck battery to your truck plug. Of course you must have a heavy wire in the camper wiring as well. If you do this, you will have to disconnect the camper from the truck, when parked, or you will discharge the truck battery to the camper battery!
A small (2000 watt) generator would charge much more efficiently! If your “only” charging the battery, a 1000 watt generator will cover that job! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/20/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024