Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by ChaseA1
I looked at a energy chart for a 30-06 from Remington.
The 150 grain sp and all the way up to 220 grain bullets are great but the 165 grain sp had more energy at every yardage and quite a bit more! I was BLOWN away!!!!!!
I know if you were shooting through thick cover you want AT LEAST 180 grain.
The FPS second was normal for a 165 so I guess the 165 bullet is the perfect hunting bullet for the 30-06 in the field and mabye in light brush?
What is your thoughts. I’m only 13 so I don’t much but more than most 13 year olds. lol

Im glad you said you were 13 and getting started...

First the myth of " brush busting" bullets is just that...a myth. Counter intuitive but usually higher speed/lighter bullets work better in brush..but fact is NONE of them work good...
You didnt say what kind of hunting you'll be doing with your '06 so I have to assume it will be deer.
As some have said the 150 grainers are great for that, and as you've noticed, so are the 165s so I'd suggest shooting whatever is most comfortable and whatever your rifle prefers.

I agree. The only thing I would add is to site the rifle 2" high at 100 yards. You'll be good out to 300 yards. This what I've done with my 30/06. I however shoot 180 grains because that's what my gun likes & I mainly hunt elk here in Colorado. It's worked for me for 40+ years. Find the load your rifle likes & stick with it----factory or handloads. I personally use Winchester 180 "Power Points". Bob