I run a 14' Achilles with 30 hp prop Everscrewed, and an 18 foot aluminum flat bottom with rated 30 hp Jet (more if it was prop), 4 stroke Yamaha. Both of them kinda new (less than 10 years and not many hours of operation with the combos, tho the flat bottom boat is a beat-to-hell '73, on it's 5th motor - the 30 prop was the 4th, now transferred to the Rubber Ducky. Some things I have found with my outfits- the hard way - that newbies need to keep in mind:

Jet units will "skitter" the boat on sharp turns. (Hey - I only hit the bank once with the flat-bottom since I bought the Yamaha 5 years ago..... 180 degree bend in nothing at all... I know how to set up for that turn now! And how to throttle for it)

Inflatables will also skitter at high speed with a prop unit - and can throw one out of the boat (almost, once!).

Jet units are less maneuverable at slow speeds than prop units.

Inflatables MUST have enough pressure inside! Overinflation is better than under-inflation, or one WILL get cavitation/ventilation (whatever!).... So far, I have not found a good way or even reference to "proper" air pressure for the Achilles. I just blow that sucker up until it looks/feels right. And if it isn't, I pump some more in! That again, I learned by experiencing too low a hull pressure.

i worry about bear action on the inflatable - not so on hard hulls. Haven't had any. Yet.

Jet units are subject to clogging from floating leaves ( and weeds in the Manley slough.- but so is the prop in the weeds) . On our latest trip to the remote cabin, I had to clear the jet intake a half dozen or more times in the lower 2 miles of slack water( no leaf line- they were over the whole surface) before hitting the Tanana. Farther up the river I was able to stay mostly out of the line of floating leaves, except to cross. Only had to clear twice on the upper 13 miles coming down, 3 times on way up (fewer leaves, just 3 days earlier.

Those guys in the video are having waaaay too much fun! No rifles/moose in sight tho.

Last edited by las; 09/28/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.