Here is another tip. I am no expert on elk . Last 7 years I have taken an elk guess I am very fortunate. Started with accubonds got them but had SOME difficulty finding them. Tried 200gr Barnes LRX .again 1 shot also hit a rib and went through without expanding. I got it but .5 mile down the mountain. Dropped to a Barnes 175gr LRX and not 1 elk or mule deer has gone more than 50 yards this is in 300wm. So if you choose a barnes I would recommend a lighter grain bullet than a copper lead bullet of your choice. Also I would practice shooting off of a good pair of sticks or what ever you plan to use to steady the gun. NO NICE FANCY BENCHES IN WOODS. So your accuracy will probably not be as good if your like me. I try to practice when I go over to range using my sticks or the pole that holds our shed up. And also remember pay attention to guide how he tracks and finds blood spots if you have to track 1. I have gained alot of knowledge from different people. Have fun pay attention . GOOD LUCK HUNTING.