My father gave my brother and I each a 336 last year, as his office used to be next door to a pawn shop and he just couldn't help himself when it came to bargains on solid guns (still can't for that matter). Mine is a pre-safety 336 in .35Rem, and that's really about all I know about it. I scrubbed a few decades of goop out of the bore, mounted a 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution as low as I could get it, and bought some LeverEvolution ammo. The first and only 3-shot group I shot at 100yds was about an inch. I was hoping for 2MOA or better, so I was pleasantly surprised. My uncle likes working on these rifles, so I had him do a trigger job for me and he returned it at a crisp 3lbs. I took it back to the range and put 3 on paper this weekend.

[Linked Image]

That's a shade over 1/2MOA at 100yds. Color me impressed.

Now my dad and uncle both have older 336's in 30-30 that have good triggers and both shoot between 1/2 and 1 MOA at 100yds for 3-shot groups, one with handloads and the other with factory ammo. This is with the factory barrel bands and all. None of us can explain why we've never heard that these rifles can shoot like this, as good or better than some of our bolt actions. Have they always been this accurate?

Now with even more aplomb