Originally Posted by aggiecubpilot
I bought a Cabela's special edition Model 70 featherweight and while the rifle is well finished and is a pleasure to handle and shoot, getting it to shoot inside of 2 inches at 100 yards has been a challenge. I also found several instances of what I believe to be error in assembly (mag box pinch, recoil lug not bearing properly in bedding, barrel contact in the channel). But apparently this rifle is an exception not the rule, so don't let my one sampling shape your opinion completely. The rifle has accounted for a big whitetail buck and several hogs. It is the smoothest Model 70 I have shot.

I also believe that the Model 70 in 257 is set up with a long throat and it is built on a long action (you can't seat a bullet out long enough to come close to mag box length in this rifle). Factory ammo I've purchased all seems to be made to cycle through short actions, with really short OAL, consequently the bullets jump a fair bit in my particular rifle.

Were I buying again, I would make sure the rifle is properly configured for factory loads that I could obtain. Factory ammo is too expensive to simply shoot it for the brass.

All that said, I love the 257 and wish it were more widely supported by ammo manufacturers.

My Ruger UL is the same way, a nice deep throat but factory ammo doesn't shoot well in it. With the right reloads it shoots just fine.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]