My granddaughter had a black mouth cur she picked up from a pound, they nor her knew what it was they all thought it was a mutt. When I saw it, it looked familiar but I couldn't place it until I ran into a guy who's father ran hounds for anything one could chase with a hound. I showed him a picture of the dog and he identified it right away. Unfortunately, the dog had to be put down as it became aggressive to other animals including their lab which was best buddies with the cur.

I was hoping to get a chance to work with the dog as I could have used a new varmint dog. I had to put my wirehair down that year and he was a big, tough dog that had no hesitation going after varmints. He wasn't fast but he was good at blood tracking and it had to be a pretty lightly hit animal to get away from him.

He crossed paths with my best decoy dog, an English Setter. The setter would howl on command and whatever he said, it brought in coyotes. I would set him on a knoll behind the house overlooking the pasture and get into position behind a scraggly bush beside him. Get him howling and it seemed any coyote within hearing would have to come check things out. I have no idea if the coyotes were coming to do battle or were curious as I didn't let them get close enough. I do know the setter's breeder would shake his head at the many things I had the dog do.