As mentioned, grouse in NC are pretty scarce. I guided for the RGS hunt in MN for a few years and the couple guys I remember being from NC didn't mention hunting grouse there at all. I did meet a couple guys from NC while goose hunting and invited them to MN to chase grouse. It was 2 years past the low end of the cycle and it seemed they bagged more birds in one day than they would see in a season. In 5 days of hunting they probably doubled the number of grouse they shot in their life times. By "running and gunning" the best spots they had about a dozen+ grouse opportunities a day.Back home, they considered a 2 flush day to be a very good day and bagging a bird to be a red letter day on the calendar.

They were also amazed at there being woodcock so I would guess numbers for them are also rather low or they are found in few places. We hit the peak of the flights and the woodcock were so common that they interfered with finding grouse. I do recall a guy on a different site talking of hunting snipe and rails in one of the Carolinas but those birds generally live in a very different habitat than grouse. Though I have picked up a very occasional snipe while hunting ruffed grouse, it is rare. I have found many more while hunting sharptails and it is something I keep in mind.

That was 25 years ago so things may have changed some in NC. There may be some positive change but it is likely minor and localized as I have not seen or heard any mention of NC being a destination place for grouse anywhere. Getting out and looking yourself beats sitting around watching TV and there is always the chance to find a decent spot everyone else overlooks.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 10/12/18.