I had good results from the 1895 Marlin Microgroove barreled gun with bullets running about 11 on the BHN scale. I sized them at .460". The Marlin has long since gone down the road but I still shoot bullets sized .460" in my Ruger #1S in 45-70.

I do think bullet size is more important in Microgroove barrels. Case in point. I was shooting cast bullets from my Marlin 30-30 as was another gentleman at the range. When the range went cold and we were changing targets he was moaning about how poorly cast bullets shot. I said I was shooting cast and had a nice 1.5" groups, not bad for the velocity I was shooting that day. (1900 FPS hunting load). As we talked I asked what he's sized his bullets too and he said .308 to fit the bore. I looked at his barrel which was nicely leaded and we then spent time getting the lead out. Once the barrel was decently clear of lead I had him shoot 5 of my load. A nice neat 2" group right off the bat. He asked what the difference was in my load from his and I told him to just try sizing the bullets to .310" which was I did.
I saw him a few weeks later at the range shooting his 30-30 and he was getting good groups. He said the changing in bullet sized made all the difference. I've always started working a cast bullet for a new cartridge at .002" over groove diameter and it's worked very well for me for many years.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE