Yep,Gunnison country, just shy of 11,000 feet. 30-06,180 gr NPT seconds with H4350. Electricians tape over muzzle brake BTW. This was solo hunt with only my two mules for company. ( I turned 75 this past August and it was a tough hunt in terms of processing and packing the elk)

I left the trail head at about 4:30 AM and it takes about 1&1/2 hours to get where I tie up, then another 1/2 mile hike and climb about 500 feet in elevation.

I always get to my stand before light and watch as the light increases to see elk shapes. I could then and make out the lighter colored bulls, but their heads were buried in the brush and about 300 yards up above me. I had to belly out behind some aspen whips to get a good sight picture and my shooting sticks were giving problems staying put in the crusted snow.I blew the first shot and he dropped at the second shot .

I have shot three bulls and a cow from the same spot in the last few years. None last year though

(Sorry about spelling in photo.I'm not up to this Paint program editing)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/22/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles