Originally Posted by gremcat
Curious if the barrel was needed in an acoustic isolator/deadening material (sounds scientific right😁) how the pencil profile barrels would respond. I think something that was stiff enough to return to position with enough give to absorb energy. I wonder if anyone is doing any development work with Phase-Change materials involving polymer/rubbers

There was an outfit that bedded in soft rubber like material and also they put toggle links on the action screw so it had a sort of free battery effect. That group didn't stay around long and I never saw any conclusive testing done to see how well it worked. I have hollowed out wood and synthetic stocks and then used ground cork and micro balloons to fill in but I usually did conventional bedding on top of this so no idea if it dampened vibrations or not. It was done for weight savings but it did get rid of the hollow sound on the synthetics.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli