In some recent threads I've seen it referenced that bullet performance on game with a close range impact of a bullet started with a low muzzle velocity (~60% of full power velocity) = bullet performance of a bullet started at high velocity hitting game at long range at approximately the same impact velocity. In my mind this theory has pretty much been debunked, bullets started at low velocity do NOT perform the same as bullets started at higher velocities that impact at the same velocity as the low velocity round. My understanding was that the prevailing theory for this discrepancy was due to not achieving the spin rate on the bullet due to low initial muzzle velocity.

Bullet spin is virtually unaffected by atmospheric conditions and whatever spin is imparted to the bullet at the muzzle will remain on impact despite signifcant velocity losses to a long range projectile. Increased bullet spin helps the bullet open, imparting centripital force.

I looked for old threads on the subject and couldn't find any. Hoping we can get some discussion from long range shooters and/or those that have conducted significant bullet testing.

David