Originally Posted by mathman
Federals have always been a snug fit, but the latest two bricks of Fed 210M primers I bought are IMO a too tight fit in the primer pockets. They take a lot of force to start, and when they finally do go some of them go in in such a way to make me wonder if I've crushed them.

The unplated WLR's have been a bit of a loose fit in some brass for a while now.

The R 9 1/2 primers go in smooth but snug enough, but they run tall. Combine that with the off spec primer pockets commonly encountered and they may not seat flush.

Overall the CCI primers have been the best seating ones for a while.

(All comments refer to large rifle primers.)

I’ve used nothing but CCI primers since I started loading ammunition until recently when I exhausted my supply and moved onto my Winchester stock of regular and magnum primers. I did notice that they do feel looser when priming and not as snug as the CCI primers. Also noticed that the Federal 210M’s felt real tight when loading in my Creedmoor. At first I thought I was loading too hot in my AI and Creedmoor until I used the Federal’s. I broke open a new brick of CCI 200’s that I recently picked up and things were back to normal. Still haven’t had any issues with burning through on any of the Winchester primers so I must have older primers.

Last edited by brinky72; 11/07/18.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.