If you just google Duluth Pack leather gun case it'll give you some examples and it looks like they are still available, but they have gotten pretty pricey. Of course Merkels don't come cheap either. If you PM me an email addy I will send you a pic of what I am using. I live near where J.W. Hulme is and the last time I was there they told me they quit making gun cases, but that doesn't mean you won't find one on the internet if you look long enough and hard enough

Here's an option that I forgot about that may work for you https://www.triplek.com/ If you get ahold of them and ask they might be willing to make you a shotgun case to fit your Merkel out of heavy saddle leather. I have one of their rifle cases and it is easily more than sturdy enough to use on a horseback hunt and keep the rifle well protected. It is by far the stiffest and toughest leather case I own. It looks like quality well made leather cases are now going for ~$500.

For what it's worth, I have never know anyone who owned a Leg 'o Mutton case, a suitcase type take down case or a bag type take down case that used it all the time. I didn't care for taking the guns apart and then putting them back together because it invariably gets them nicked up. Every single person I have known that had one or more take down cases just solved the problem by going out and buying a good quality full length case and never looked back.