I was up there yesterday again. Most of the ground had snow. I went to the very tops of 4 mountains including Copper itself with all the towers. I spend 9 hours looking for elk sign. Zero! Not a track.

I am told by a few folks I know in Thermop that the heard runs east to west in those areas, not north and south so most of the elk may be over in area 48 now. I have been up there 7 times so far since Oct 9th. Zero! So I'm thinking they may be a few miles to the east, but that is either on closed private ground or in area 48 (or both) So I may leave it alone for a week or a bit more and try again just before the close of the season. But this year 47 has been a real bummer. I thought I'd ask however. Some of you guys may have a tip that would help.

I am going up with an 80 year old friend named Steven, who has bad knees and a back problem. I am trying to to help him. He can't move around very well, so for his elk I have to get him to a place he doesn't have to try to go up and down in some of the steep country. That adds another challenge for this year. I have helped "wounded warriors" in the past several times and so I have some experience in dealing with handicapped hunters, but I have never tried to do it on Copper Mountain before. Steven is not a vet, but he's been a real blessing to a lot of other people so many time (including myself and my wife) and so I want to help him if I can.

Last edited by szihn; 11/15/18.