On the previous bull I had killed, a ‘somewhat unreliable’ source told me that according to an Indian legend a bull’s penis should be thrown into the tree branches. If it hangs and does not fall to the ground then you will kill an elk again the following year. It didn’t work last time but this time who knows?

[Linked Image]

About an hour after dark we were satisfied with the field dressing we had done and asked ourselves how we would find our way down in the dark. A nice turn of events revealed that were only ½ mile from a FS road below, making this one of the easiest pack outs we had ever done.

[Linked Image]

While hunting on my buck tag a couple of days later I decided to return to the kill site. The snow surrounding the carcass had been packed down hard. The neck and ribs had been picked over, and lungs and liver were gone. Some crows jealously guarded the area and complained about my presence.

[Linked Image]

I was truly blessed this year. Like so many others here I just hope I can control some physical issues enough so that I can go again next year.