Originally Posted by c86man3
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by c86man3
I'm interested in buying a side by side shotgun (preferably with double triggers). This will be for grouse and pheasant hunting a couple times per year. Is there a make and model that is considered just a good all around shotgun - but not crazy fancy? Like the remington 870 of side by side shotguns?

Thanks!

Budget?

I was originally thinking $3-400, which would put me in the Savage 311 budget. However, after looking what another $400 would buy I'm thinking I'd have to spend $7-800 minimum to get something I really liked. Those Ugartechea's that R_H_Clark posted look pretty nice. I'll have to stew on it for a little bit since I'm not a real serious bird hunter.

Thanks everyone for your responses. You've given me some things to read into.

I really like the 3rd fastener Ugartechea's. They were called the best of the workingman's SXS for years. I've bought them for $500. Cabela's might even take a $100 less if you make an offer. I've negotiated with them before. Ask to speak to the gun room manager for whichever location the gun is in and make an offer. It needs to be more of an I'll pay this right now,than an will you take $$$ for it. Either works but ask all your questions before the offer and be committed to buy when you offer.

You can likely find a used one even cheaper at Gunbroker or maybe even any used dealer. I've had good experience with Cabela's in returning a SXS that had been altered and possibly unsafe. The issue only appeared after 30 days and only with some ammo but they still returned all my money after the issue was verified.To me that was worth paying an extra $100. No guarantee though as to how they would handle anything. I would just rather deal with reputable dealers than individuals even if the price is a little more. I look at it as insurance.

Point being,take some time,educate yourself as to what is considered quality,and start looking. You might find a real jewel for no more than $50-$100 more than your initial $400 budget

Just for fun,here's my latest find. A really nice 12 ga Merkel from the 80's. 28" fixed chokes.IC and M. Sorry for the bad picture.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/19/18.