Originally Posted by Virginian2
I can't believe how much bows sell for now. What does each shot cost? $10 arrow, $10 lighted nock, $10 to $20 broadhead..... WOW!

You can spin this so many ways. Guys talk about bow depreciation of bows. So the 3 to 5 year old bow that has depreciated terribly is a frustrating situation for the seller and an opportunity for the wise buyer IMHO. Historically I have liked to practice a lot with either bow or rifle. I do spend more time practicing with archery equipment than i do with rifle in recent years.

I like a quiet bow and I like a quiet rifle. Was about to spring for a silencer when I opted instead to get back into archery. Spent at least a grand less on tax stamp, silencer & threading barrels for rifles and instead purchased a less expensive Flag ship bow that was very trendy 2 years ago. The two year old bow is fast, quiet and dead in the hand. The new to me carbon riser bow ways very little and is warm to the touch in cold weather.

My preferred rifle sells for near $600.00 the prefered scope sells for nearly as much. Rounds go for a buck round give or take. Trip to the rifle range just got less expensive as we just got a new rifle range that extends out to 300 yards on the edge of town. Still may pick up a silencer yet crazy

My preferred bow ran $570 to my door for a used bare bow, used a old sight and rest and dropped another $60.00 for a quiver. I spend near $12.00 per premium arrow and 6 to12 arrows will last me a season of active practice and hunting. I do not use lighted knocks and my premium broad heads run no more than $12.00 ea. Used 1 broad head this year to harvest 1 deer. Truth be told I could sharpen the broad head and re-use both the arrow and broached on another deer, should i wish to. Archery lends itself much more to recycling.

Don't hurt my feelings that I can practice on my property day or night. OK I BOUGHT A PREMIUM target as well that should be good for 20,000 practice rounds so as well.

For me, archery is Annually marginally less expensive. Yet I get many more hours of enjoyment per year with archery and no need for hearing protection & the cost and castle of tax stamps. I feel better about sharing the sport of archery with my 8 year old son and expect this to be decisively the case for the coming 3 years; perhaps more.

In my area we are only allowed 1 archery deer per season. Extend my area out to our full state and I could take up to 3 archery deer for sure. Rifle I could take 3 deer plus per year as well.

Enjoy every aspect of rifle and bow hunting to be sure. This includes tuning the bow and building arrows. Seeing up the rifle and reloading ammo. and tweaking in each for maximum performance.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 11/19/18.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19