Coyote Hunter, I agree with your thoughts. While water jugs do not perfectly replicate animal tissue....it does give some idea of what to expect from the bullets reaction upon contact with flesh. If a bullet comes apart, or dramatically sheds weight when penetrating a few water jugs.....what will it do when contacting heavy bone or is required to penetrate “many” inches of animal due to the shot angle required.

I’ll take a bullet that will repeatedly retain a high percentage of weight, while penetrating more than two or three jugs. If I could be guaranteed a perfect broadside shot every time, and at distances where the “diminished” velocity will help keep the bullet from “grenading”.....I might, just maybe, consider that bullet! Upon reflection.....”He’ll No”, I wouldn’t! Water jugs may not be the perfect test medium.....but they beat the heck out of hoping and guessing! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024