I learned to snare hogs in Hawaii, and there are a lot of downsides. Normally, you set snares during the day and check them the next morning. When you catch a hog, they fight the snare all night, only getting snared tighter, and they go half crazy with thirst. When you get to them, they summon one last burst of panicked energy, break free, and charge. At that point, you've got a pissed off wounded hog with nothing to lose headed your way and hoping to even the score. The only good thing about this situation is that you know where they are. You can plan your approach or just shoot them before they get a chance to move.

Herd behavior is another downside. Sometimes other hogs will hide in the brush to guard the snared hog, and those hogs may charge, too. But you won't know where they're coming from and they can blindside you. I have NO interest in getting into that situation--one evening I shot a huge feral bull at last light. I hit him hard but I didn't kill him, and he ran into the brush surrounding the coffee orchard where I was hunting. About an hour later, I got to listen to him scream as a herd of pigs ate him alive. I'd rather not suffer that fate if I can avoid it.

Some folks check their snares and if they find a hog, they just leave it there until it dies of thirst, which can take several days. That gets rid of the charging problem but it ruins the meat and it's just too damned cruel for my taste. I think you've gotta be pretty tired of hogs to go that route.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 11/20/18.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.