Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by viking
I got to ask it, why mess with 220's. There seems to be a good number and styles of 200 grainers out there. If a guy stays with the 200 grainers you might not have stabilization problems, you might not have change the recoil spring, higher speeds, etc. I was just wondering what the benifets are is all. And I do appreciate trail blazers.

Agreed, I shoot 200gr XTP's at 1200 fps in my DW 10mm with Longshot, were I to need a hardcast it'd be of the same weight and relative same speed, don't know what it wouldn't penetrate, would have to be a digger and may even shoot to the sights.

Couple things. This is a revolver with adjustable sights, so recoil springs and point of impact not an issue whatsoever.

The reason I chose 220's is because they can be shot at the same speed as 200gr and I want the maximum performance the cartridge will give me. If we can move both bullets at the same speed, I'll take the heavier.

The appeal of this particular pistol to me, is the idea of a 6 shot L-frame revolver that is set up for moon clips, that will outperform a 357 without more recoil. Kind of a niche market, I understand, but I like it.

An update, I shot some loads yesterday. More testing is needed, but;

Buffalo Bore 220gr Hardcast shot 1150fps (advertised at 1200fps). 8.3gr Longshot gave 1180fps and was accurate. 8.6gr Longshot gave 1215fps and was accurate. Recoil is totally manageable, I would say more pleasant than full house 357 mags out of the standard 4" GP100.

Both my loads appear more accurate than the Buffalo Bore load, and they are both faster. Again, more testing is needed.

I'm considering trying 9gr Longshot since I can seat the bullet so much longer for the revolver. Zero pressure signs with any of these loads, but looks like it can be tricky to see pressure signs in a revolver so not sure. I may buy another disk for the thrower and ream out the hole in the auto disk so it will throw 8.8 instead of 8.6 and try that.

Appreciate everyone's input. Still curious to know what anyone else is doing.