Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Hold on, is a Lansky not a sharpening option for these things? That could be a deal breaker.

Edit to add: Aside from touch ups, how do you like to sharpen a convex grind? How do you get a consistent angle on that rounded profile when it's really dull?

If you use a Lansky you would wind up re-profiling the knife into a v-grind which would IMO would eliminate one of the main selling points of a BR and probably destroy any resale value. The idea being for people who can't or think they can't sharpen on a stone because they can't hold a consistent angle, you can use a loaded strop or the sandpaper on a mouse pad trick as indicated above. It is a more forgiving process as the soft substrate allows the abrasive to sorta wrap around the convex grind and hit the apex of the edge....and IMO most people who have trouble sharpening with a bench stone don't hit the apex.

Some people love this. I found it to be a tiresome PITA screwing around with sandpaper and mousepads, strops and buffing compound, and decided I preferred sharpening a knife with a conventional grind on a stone. Maybe the whole thing, the knife, the convex, etc. was so overhyped online that I expected something life changing and didn't find it. I used mine a couple of times, sent it back to them to touch up, and it has become a "collectible". I only paid about sixty bucks for the thing 12 years ago before they got famous, which is about what they are worth IMO, but now they sell for double and then some. I wish all my stocks had done that well!

PS.......All that said, I would prefer maintaining a convex blade as described in the above links to having to break out and assemble a Lansky when I wanted to sharpen, so maybe you should still give it a shot. You can always sell to the Bark River fanboys if you don't like it.

PPS, You could also get one of those work sharp mini belt sanders and reprofile any knife to a convex grind if you wanted.

Thanks for the perspective. I had no idea I would be delving into knife nerdery with these! One of my failures as a man is an inability to sharpen at a consistent angle when left to my own devices. I like the Lansky because it's a good way to get a consistent angle and it's an easy way to sharpen a knife when away from home on a big trip where the knife is used alot.

Like you, I don't feel like knife sharpening should be my next hobby. I think I'll still ask for the knife and try the convex thing. Worst case I'll get the Lansky out and reset it.Thanks to you guys for the tip on the belt sander sharpeners. I've never looked at them seriously since they require power and I don't care to rely on something which can't be used easily in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand if the stropping thing with a pad works I could take that with me as easily as the Lansky.