Howdah you like this Double Rifle? A rare Westley Richards w/ 16" Factory Barrels

Hello All,

Some of you may have seen the Guns International listing back in 2013, about a Westley Richards .375 x 2½" Nitro Express Double Rifle with 16" barrels. I was hoping these were Original 16" Factory Barrels and not just cut-down from some longer length. I took a chance, and soon the rifle came to resides with me. I crossed my fingers and wrote Westley Richards to request a Factory Letter of Authenticity.

What a fun little Double Rifle. It tips the scales at a stout 8 pounds 10 ounces, and has an overall length of 32-7/8". That's 1-3/8" shorter than a Winchester Model 92 Trapper model with the same 16" barrel length.

[Linked Image]

The large Butt Plate and stock with a 14-1/2" LOP, means it wasn't meant for a kid. Rather, this was a compact, fast swinging "Howdah Rifle". A Howdah is a small hunting platform on top of an elephant, used for hunting Tigers.

[Linked Image]

This rifle has many very interesting features: Horn Forearm Tip, Horn Grip Cap, and Horn Butt Plate with the Westley Richards Logo. Super condition wood. Sling Eyes. One standing and 4 folding leaf rear sight, 50/100/150/200/300. Lots of original Case Color in protected areas, and a Bore as sharp and bright as any I've seen. Overall finish of the metal is a superb original "purplish-brown" that shows its character from use years ago. Nice overall Engraving with a "Buck Deer" on the bottom of the action, a "Crouching Tiger" on the bottom of the trigger guard, and a "Saber-Tooth Deer" on the back of the Lever. Yes, a "Saber-Tooth Deer".

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the Westley Richards Factory Letter arrived. It indicated that this rifle was ordered by M. Saleh & Co. in Bombay, India, and "yes" the original ledger indicated it was ordered with 16" barrels. M. Saleh is still in operation today by Saleh's Great Grandson. I telephoned him and he indicated that this rifle was special ordered by his Great Grand Father in 1927. He wanted a compact Double Rifle for Tiger hunting from the close quarters of the Howdah. Hooray!

This is my Favorite Little Tiger Rifle!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.