Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by davidlea
It's been a while, I moved to the gulf coast and there were lots of things that kept me busy for the last few months. Before I started my move I was putting together another Rem LTR in .308. Finally got around to finding a range, getting the rifle together and painting it-wanted to see if it would shoot before I went through all the hoops with it. Left it un bedded and started with the trigger that was in the barreled action when I bought it (couldn't get it to stand at less than a crusty 4.5lbs)

I started with two loads that had shot well in every .308 I've worked with, especially the last LTR. Went to Three Brothers range in Stapleton, AL and gave it a go on a recent chilly windy day.

The results earned it a new trigger, bedding job and a bolt knob grin Three shots, 200yds

[Linked Image]anonymous pictures website

That's a shooter, for sure.

Re your load, I bought a used Remington M700 BDL at Gander some years back. Took it to the range with 168g A-MAX and Varget in .5g increments. The first 5 shots went into a group that measured .155" wide by .610" high, with every .5g increment printing a tad higher than its predecessor. Loads were 43.5g, 44.0g, 44.5g, 45.0g, and 45.5g. The 168g AMAX and Varget make a good combination for the .308.

I've noticed that for testing a .308 for accuracy-a load with 168 Amax;s and between 44-46grs of Varget will usually tell the story. And if that load shoots a lot of others will as well. Great shooting btw, I have no doubt it wasn't all the rifle.

Golden............