It seems that many shooters get on the “light for caliber” band wagon, seeing “only” the increase in muzzle velocity....while forgetting about some basic physics, plus the additional stresses placed on a bullet by the speed increase. Assuming that a heavier bullet has a greater BC , it will provide better performance on long ( exceeding say 500 yards) shots, through flatter trajectory, less wind drift, higher energy, and better penetration resulting from a higher sectional density. My choice would lean “slightly” toward the heavier side....the bullet weight is determined by, using a premium bullet with the highest available BC, at velocities dictated by my chosen caliber. For myself, it is a compromise between a bullet that will perform well on a close-range, high velocity impact.....yet also perform well out to 7 or 800 yards. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024