New here and wouldn't ordinarily start a thread but something unusual to me happened today in South Anchorage. I took the dog for a walk out near beer can lake as I will. Always walk my dogs and try for an hour a day if I can. Been doing it in this area for over 20 years. So there I am in an area that is not too well frequented admiring all the nice little pine trees. I hear a dog doing an unusual howl/cry repeatedly nearby and it strikes me as odd as there were no cars parked about but I don't pay it much mind. My dog Gus is running around as usual. He is a long legged Drhat of about 68# and ranges far. Not a fighter like my Labs and Chessie were, but sharp non the less.

Thing is that I am just meandering about a bit as I try not to do the forced march on my walks and have been in the same field for a while. Look up and there is a coyote. seen lots of red foxes in Anchorage but never a coyote. It starts doing the bark/cry and coming towards me. I go towards it and it is unfazed. This goes on for a minute and I make it run. Walk to where it ran and it presents itself a minute later and starts crying/calling. Luckily my dog has 100% recall so I keep it close. Coyote goes in the trees and keeps howling. I know it wants to call my dog to it's buddies and he wants to go. Went on for at least another 5 minutes. That is a long time.

Head back to the truck and 20 minutes into that I hear my dog do his chase bark. Usually a hare or fox. Called him in and then the howling/calling started just 80 yards away in the trees. Coyote had followed us. Gus seemed to have figured it out at this point and we went to the truck.

I would not be surprised if there is an ADN article about dogs getting munched by coyotes soon.