Originally Posted by Partagas
Why is that duff? He has been tying for a couple years on a non rotary vise. I think it is a relatively cheap one that came in a kit but has worked ok. He would just like to upgrade. I don't tie except have been learning to help him out so I don't really know much about it as why you wouldn't want one?

Good rotary vises tend to tend to be expensive. Meant for serious tyers who plan to the same fly couple dozen in a short time frame (ie commercial tyers) or for those who have lost their dexterity in their latter years (such as myself) switch to rotary vises. You are better off spending upgrade $$ on fine scissors, bobbins and diversify your material portfolio, in my humble opinion. You can find an upgraded clamping type vise for lesser $$ than a novice/entry level rotary vise. If he has the passion to tye flies (and I appreciate you supporting him), a half way decent (USA made) rotary vise will be over $200. Knock off imports have inferior jaw strength and lesser warranty.

My every day vise, when I tie (and teach younger thers) is a Renzetti 2304 Traveller on a Pedestal base @ $240. It’s flat matte paint job cuts the glare down than my other Renzetti Presentation vises.