Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I may be showing my ignorance but isn't the model 48 a semi auto? As I remember the story they were just a round receiviered copy of the hump back model 11. They were both long recoil autos IIRC. My above statement may be proof that I don't know Remingtons and should stick with what I know, Winchesters. Back to the subject of the model 31 pump gun. I have had several over the years. These were built in an era when Remington took pride in their work. Except for the lightweight aluminum recievered model, the model 31's were made of milled steel including the trigger group. No mystery metal casings, mim, or stamped parts. These guns were well received and rugged. I read a report somewhere that their use as military training guns for air crews and had few instances of failure or fatigue reported. Remington during the war knew it would not last forever and was in development of new sporting arms for the fighting men when they got home. It was almost universally desired to make the guns lighter and cheaper. Knowing this, the expensive to make model 31 was soon to be scraped for a cheaper to make model. If I wasn't so heavily invested in Winchester model 12's the model 31's would be my main interest. Great guns.

Just saw this... you are absolutely correct. No idea what I was thinking!

The 48 is the semi-auto... It is the Sportsman 12 I was confusing... They are a bit obscure and not the model 12 pump 22lr.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.