Just my 2c...

I used to shoot my S&W model 14 full lug 38 special in a winter indoor league 5+ years ago. I tested a couple of home cast bullets over different amounts of Bullseye ( 2.25, 2.50, 2.75, 3.0. 3.25, 3.5 grains). Molds were Lee 148 DEWC microgroove, H&G 148 grain solid base button nose wadcutter (. #50?), and a commercial swagged ( Delta?) 148 hbwc. Max powder dose for 148 hbwc was 3.0 ( too high). 2.50 grain Bullseye was most accurate for that bullet, and flush seated.

Both solid base wadcutters grouped well (6 shot ragged holes at 50 feet, 2-handed supported shooting for testing ( not competition).

Most accurate powder dosage for flat base / solid base wad cutters, was 3.25 grains Bullseye.

Most accurate bullet seating for Lee was “2 rings out” ( crimp on 3rd micro groove), and 3.25 grains Bullseye. The H.&G wadcutter shot well seated at either the crimping groove or one lube groove out, with best powder dosage at 3.25 grains Bullseye.

That was my findings from just one revolver. My theory to explain it was perhaps the slightly extended bullet aligned in the cylinder throat better, than the deeper seated, flush crimped condition.

Who knows? But that is a synopsis of some accuracy testing I did over about a dozen range trips one winter, on one revolver. For me, flush seated solid base wad cutters were not most accurate. Flush seated hbwc were most accurate.

Last edited by buttstock; 12/05/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."