I’ve wanted a pre 64 model 70 for a few years now but never got around to getting one. Today my best friend was cleaning out the safe. He had a user model 70 standard in 30-06 that belonged to is granddad. He mentioned selling most of the rifles and keeping the shotguns. I told him to let me know before he sold the mod 70. He called me later today and told me to come get the rifle. I was happy to say the least.

It appears it was made in 1956 from what I can find on the internet. The stock is in decent shape with normal bumps and bruises but no cracks. The buttpad appears to be the original metal and the hood is still on the front sight. It does have some wear in the bluing on the barrel but not bad at all. It has an old bushnell scope and leather sling. The action is a little sticky from sitting up all the years but I am sure it’ll be smooth as ever once cleaned.

I know this probably isn’t the cream of the crop as far as collecting (at all really)but I am excited to have such a rifle and the fact it was given to me by such a good friend makes it worth even more.

I think I am going to rescope it and keep it like it is. My plans have always been to get one and put it in a mcwoody but I may leave this one be.