Today is the last day of Kansas rifle season, I'd about given up hope to fill my doe tag this morning when 3 does came into the clover patch. 87 Speer Hot Core out of my 1953 M99R took out the far shoulder and exited at about 100 yards.The doe ran maybe 50 yards, about the same as all those I've shot with it in years past.
The rifle has some history in the family, it was my Sister in Laws Mothers rifle when she was growing up in Wyoming. She said they ate pretty well from what they got with that rifle, deer, antelope and even elk. I loaded the doe up and ran over to her house to show her the old gun is still making meat.Her folks are gone now but she said it looks like they're still hunting.
It's been a 250 kind of year, I killed my buck in the same patch of clover opening day with a 1975 Ruger M77 Tang Safety in 250-3000 with the Speer 100 gr Hot Core. From the way he was standing, the shot went in just above the heart, but exited high shoulder on the far side. He dropped and never moved.
I've got another doe tag I'll try to fill in the January late anterless season. Think I'll back off even more years and use a cast bullet out of a 38-55.