A most excellent source of reading on Terminal Ballistics is on the internet. It is called Terminal Ballistic Research. This is a New Zealand based writer. In New Zealand hunting big game is way different than here. They can harvest a lot more animals per day/ year etc. Therefore the author gets a larger sample size to necropsy and observe antemortem behavior.

I have found it most excellent and interesting.

As another observation the 308 case may be beneficial versus the 300 savage may be in the ability to put a longer projectile in the cartridge. How ever if the magazine stays at the 2.6 inches I believe the model 99 needs to function it may be a non benefit.

I am not sure but maybe the magazine length was altered for the 308?

I used to be a staunch advocate of with cup and core bullets a minimum of 165 grain in 308 caliber.

But through my own experience and debate here on the campfire I now choose the 160 grain FTX by Hornady. Especially the ones cannelured to fit the 308 marlin express.

Setting COAL at 2.6 inches I believe ( I am at The reloading bench right now). And having the brass trimmed to spec by a Lee trimmer gauge. The case will crimp on da nuts!

I also advocate lever lotion powder, and am beginning to believe the cci 250 primer as my go to ignition system.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/14/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills