Originally Posted by Paddler
Here's a better photo of what the setup looks like offshore. In 2015, we were on a hot bite, and I had on rod in my hand when another one went off. I reached down to tighten the drag on that rod when the rod holder exploded. I watched helplessly as a nice Calstar with the Daiwa SLD 30 pitched overboard in 5000' of water. Unfortunately, Daiwa had discontinued those reels. I couldn't find one anywhere, so ended up replacing it and the other one with the Tiagras. That turned into a $1200 mistake. But now it's all gold reels across the back, which is good. I like symmetry.

[Linked Image]

I have resumed using the rod leashes to prevent a recurrence. The 50Ws have also been discontinued, so are irreplaceable. Really nice reels, they hold about 800 yards of 60# mono.

I've used 25# mono and caught fish on some old Squidders I cleaned up and replaced the drags with the HT100 carbon fiber drags. It's fun, but you need to be careful:

[Linked Image]

Oh, and about those gloves. If you don't wear them, after a few days of hard fishing your hands will be so cut up your fingers will swell so much you can't make a fist. If you catch lots of big fish, you'd already know that.

Before Newell reels came to the east coast we used to trick out Penn squidders for jigging schoolie tuna. Penn products have gone down hill and Newell went out of business. Daiwa and Shimano make great jigging reels but they are pricey. The Penn Baja Special is also good if you know how to upgrade the drag system.