Originally Posted by 16gauge
I am thinking about getting an Uberti 1866 Winchester clone....don't plan on doing any "cowboy action" shooting; just shooting paper and doing some deer hunting. Which cartrdge would be better suited for my purposes? Seems like the .45LC would get the edge, due to more bullet designs, etc., but I'd like to hear from folks that have used either/both for hunting.
Thanks.......

I owned a Uberti 1866 "Yellowboy" (all brass frame) in .44-40 back in the 70's. Killed several deer with it. I reloaded some .44-40 brass too hot, and I could tell after one shot, when I worked the lever to eject the case (which was split) that I had bent something. The bolt was steel, so I figured the brass was bent slightly, resulting in the lever being slightly more difficult to work. Got to keep those .44-40 cartridges loaded to pistol pressures.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee