Pushing my tokens to the table and burning points in CO for 2019 Mule Deer hunt.

Using GoHunt as my primary research tool, and I'm getting hung up on which rifle season to choose.

From what I've gathered:

Early Rifle: A few units offer this week long, early September hunt with any weapon that overlaps with archery and smokestick. Upside is getting to tote a rifle during this time. Downside, as I can tell, is this tends to be a rugged hunt with deer up high, moving only first and last light, and now under pressure.

2nd Rifle: Late October. In the woods with the elk hunters. No rut, likely not enough snow to move deer down, etc.

3rd Rifle: Early November. If the weather hits right, deer can be on the move. Rut activity is sparse.

4th Rifle: Mid November. Short season, best chance at rut bucks, best chance at snow moving deer, but also greatest chance at deer being down on private property.

My gut tells me that given my limited time in the unit I choose, I'll want as many days as possible to hunt, and that means no go on 4th season. Other than that, I don't have a good barometer for choosing between Early rifle, 2nd rifle, and 3rd rifle.

Any input from you back pack mule deer hunters?

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 12/30/18.