Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by stxhunter
ha mike makes most of you ragging on him look like puzzys. he'd survive while you'd be crying for help. he's been a guest in my home more than once. he's sleep on the floor because he has no use for a bed. if i remember right he slept outside on the ground in cold weather out on Ralph's place on lake Buchanan. HE HAS MORE T SHIRTS THAN MOST OF YOU WILL EVER HAVE THE CHANCE TO ACQUIRE......

Ever since Mike's Texas-New York bike trip my wife has had a crush on him. I have no choice but to whittle on him.

Damn, now ANOTHER guy’s wife has a crush on me. My fault for including photos.

Thinking about heading West this summer, that same 2,000 miles in thirty days pointed West would get me West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, giant trees in California and finally the Pacific Coast. Going East I averaged 64 miles/day. Going West is harder because you are bucking the prevailing winds and you got the afternoon sun in your face.

Plus places like Death Valley are often best crossed at night. Actually Death Valley ain’t the worst of it, there’s reliable water stops every 30 miles or so. Some places it’s 70 or 80 miles between water. Still I have two months in summer. If I can manage just 50 miles a day I could do all of the above, head East with the wind at my back, blitz Yellowstone south to north and push on 300 miles to Great Falls where the guy who was the best man at my wedding and his family live.

3,600 miles in two months, not hard fer a younger man. Dunno if I can pull it off, be freakin awesome if I could. So anyway I’ve been riding my bike loaded down with the usual camping stuff, clothes and four gallons of extra water. All-up vehicle weight of ~90 pounds before I get on it. Rode it 50 miles like that in strong winds the other day, weren’t that bad, but 60 days in a row like that would be a different story.

So anyway, provided nothing breaks tween now and then that could happen. So far my knees are hanging in there but this year fer me has been the year of sciatica, which strangely enough doesn’t hurt while riding a bike.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744